California Screamin’ Submission Guidelines
Editors: Danielle Kaheaku
Guidelines at a Glance
We are looking for 14-16 stories, with each story being between 2,500 to 5,000 words, though we prefer word counts closer to the upper end.
Deadline: June 1, 2017
- Well-written dark fantasy, weird fiction, and horror that focuses on the sun-scorched Golden State.
- Between 2,500 and 5,000 words.
- Previously unpublished in English.
- No simultaneous or multiple submissions.
- Ebook formats and two contributor copies.
- Response time currently within 30 days.
- Exposure and all the glory that comes with it.
The proceeds will also help to fund the new San Diego Chapter HWA Member Scholarship, that will be used to pay for annual HWA dues for members in need.
What We Want and What We Don’t Want
We want good speculative fiction with a central dark fantasy or horror element. The theme of the anthology as you can tell from the title focuses on stories set within the state of California. We are looking for diverse tales that cover all aspects of California’s culture, geography, underrepresented groups, political settings, and mythology.
Please be sure that all stories are well researched and edited prior to submitting.
Things which are fine:
- Profanity is fine. Use whatever words are appropriate for your story.
- Sex or violence in a story should be artistically justified; we’re totally fine with gore, but don’t throw blood around the page just for the sake of expanding word counts.
- We are open to “traditional” horror creatures like vampires and werewolves, but put an interesting twist on the old tale (or we probably won’t like it).
Things we won’t consider:
- Stories above 5,000 words or below 2,500.
- No serialized novels or novellas.
- Partial or incomplete stories.
- Unsolicited reprints of works previously published in English.
- Multiple stories.
- Stories that focus or describe in detail sexual acts or assaults on minors
How to Submit
Please use standard manuscript formatting and attach as a Word .DOCX or .RTF only:
- Letter-size pages 8 1/2 x 11
- 1-inch margins
- 12 point serif font (Times Roman or Courier)
- No spaces between paragraphs
- Author information including name, address, phone number and email address in the top left corner of the first page
- Author name and story title in the header
- Do not use tabs or spaces to indent paragraphs
Email your submission directly to editor Danielle Kaheaku. In the subject line, please insert “California Fiction Submission.”
Within the body of the email, please include your contact information, pseudonym (if any), word count, story title, and brief author bio.
Response Time and Response Status
We expect the response time to be within 30 days.
If you do need to withdraw a story, please send an e-mail telling us that you need to withdraw your story as soon as possible, and let us know why.
This is not an official HWA publication, nor paid for by the HWA. This is being created by a collective of HWA SD Chapter members as an effort to expose local authors and support struggling writers through our upcoming scholarship program.